You may want to stop ignoring the software update popups on your devices.
WHY UPDATING IS IMPORTANT
In today’s cybersecurity landscape, it is imperative that devices are running the latest versions of software and security patches are installed to keep them up to date, according to TNTMAX President Frederic Farcy.
“While this alone does not guarantee you’ll avoid risks, it is a critical cybersecurity layer that should not be ignored,” he said.
Why? Several reasons (via Norton):
- Revisions: Software updates are all about revisions. These could include repairing security holes and fixing/removing computer bugs.
- Software Patches: Updates can patch up security flaws that leave users vulnerable to hackers or malware.
- Data Protection: Updating software and operating systems can keep personally identifiable information safe from hackers.
- Keeping Others Safe: If one device gets a virus, it can be passed to friends, family, and business associates.
- New Features: Updates can also add new features and improve existing ones.
HOW TO UPDATE
If you’re ready to update (you may want to back up your device first), here are a few guides:
For Mac users:
- From the Apple menu in the corner of your screen, choose System Preferences
- In the System Preferences window, click Software Update
- Click Update Now or Upgrade Now
For iPhone/iPad users:
- Plug device into power and connect to Wi-Fi.
- Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update
- If you see two software update options available choose the one you want to install
- Tap Install Now
For Windows 11 users:
- To manage your options and see available updates, select Check for Windows updates. Or select Start > Settings > Windows Update.
For Android users:
- Make sure your device is connected to Wi-Fi
- Open Settings
- Select About Phone
- Tap Check for Updates
TNTMAX is here to help. Call us at 201-891-8686 or email [email protected] for any questions.